Monday, November 15, 2010

Power of One



“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” - Hale

Christ is the ultimate example of the power of one person. He lived God's will to help the needy, poor and hurting. His example, as well as the story of the Good Samaritan, have really been convicting me of how I am not doing what I can to help those in need. Below I mentioned how I was at first searching for a "cause" to support. I found many organizations overseas. Then God brought my focus domestically to shelters in my own city. However, he really revealed to me yesterday an even closer "cause" in my own family. I am passionate about domestic violence and especially helping children out of it. Then it dawned on me, someone in my own family is struggling with such an issue and these poor children are caught, stuck in the middle. It's amazing how God moved my heart to be a light so "close to home."

Because of this, I was thinking last night of the issues that surround their situation. For so long, so many people they know just overlook them and their problems. People pretend there is nothing wrong. People gloss over the severity of it all. For so long, I did all those things too. However, I can't anymore. God is really tugging on my heart to help. First of all, their home is unfit for children in a sanitary sense. So I thought maybe I could somehow ask if she (let's call her Hope) wanted help taking care of things. Over and over in my mind I prayed, "should I do this? Is this going too far? Am I stepping on her toes? What if she hates me?" But over and over God told me, "pour on the love. You love these children. You pour on the love." So I asked Hope this morning if she would like help. She was hesitant and probably defensive. However she kind of accepted. I still have details to figure out and am praying for God to change her heart to allow this to actually take place. But I think I did the right thing -- the "good samaritan" thing.

I see such a hurting, damaged family who desperatly need to see Jesus. I want to be His hands and feet. So I have decided to commit the next year to them. Based on an idea of my former church, I will dedicate time, effort and support to love on this family. I will show them true Christian love. However, I need to remember to do it God's way, not mine. God is patient. I am not. I don't know how this is going to work or if this will make any sort of difference. Maybe even in my optimistic mood right now, I have hopes of keeping the love all year. But in those "darker" times, I would turn away or give up. I can't. There is too much at stake. I have true faith God can change ANY situation so I hope He will totally use me to help them.

I'm calling this Operation: One and will give you regular updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment